Purple Coo

<  TECHNICAL SUPPORT- Adopted by WW   ~  Slow computers & Vista question

Cait
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Slow computers & Vista question.

Haven't been around much because my computer is playing up. It has gone very slow. Is it a sign of it dying do you think? I can't decide whether we should splash out on a new one. How long do you reckon they last and just why do they start going wrong as they age?

If I get a new one I am worried as they all have Windows Vista - is that working OK now? I know they had teething problems and would I have to learn a lot of new stuff with it (Withy I know you have it, how is it going?).

Also I am worried about transferring stuff over but I guess I could get our computer man to do that for me?

I have heard mixed reports on Dells - any other good models out there?

Questions, questions...........
Withy Brook
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Posts: 4359
My lap-top is a Dell because most people on here said they swore by them.
Vista is different but the same, if you get my meaning? No? I'm not surprised! I think it is probably OK really but I haven't used it much yet, so not used to it.
With your old computer, have you defraged it? Have you got it cluttered up with all sorts of stuff you never use? Is your Start Menu as long as your arm? From one who knows very little about these things, too much clutter and stuff about and not doing the ordinary house-keeping, All Programs, - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup can slow things. You have reminded me that it must be time I Defraged.
Aso, I believe sometimes a virus can slow the thing down. Have you done a complete scan lately?
Exmoorjane
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 3441
Hi Cait, sorry to hear about your computer problems.
I have always used Dell and been really happy with them, until this last one with Vista. Just loathe it. I'd wait if you can because I think (hello you computer peeps out there - jump in and help me out) there is soemthing coming along that will be better.
Withy took the words out of my mouth - defrag and clean up can help.....
Might also be worth talking to a local computer expert - when my old laptop started playing up (and my anti-virus software was saying all was A-OK) I had it checked out and he found all kinds of nonsense on it. Cleaned it up and it worked fine after that.
Withy Brook
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Posts: 4359
I think the chap I bought my laptop from said the Vista replacement was 1 1/2 years away and then it will need time to get rid of all the bits of pieces and glitches. Vista is much better than it was when it first came out and masses of people must be using it successfully. Takes a bit of getting used to though
Wizzard
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Technical Support Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 555
follow Withy's advice and tidy up your computer. store stuff that you no longer need daily on cd or dvd, remove programs that you no longer use or that you installed as a trial. delete your temporary internet files too.
Then defrag.

Windows 7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7 and http://windows7news.com/ looks good and I heard that it is not far away.

Wx
Countrymousie
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 74
I now has Vista and its fine
Mountainear
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Do all that tidying up. Feel virtuous. Then buy a Mac. So easy to use.

PS If you use microsoft office you can get a Mac version - buy the student version - it will probably suffice.
Mountainear
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Do all that tidying up. Feel virtuous. Then buy a Mac. So easy to use.

PS If you use Microsoft office you can get a Mac version - buy the student version - it will suffice.
Cait
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Withy, Jane and Wizz you are all stars.
I had forgotten to Defrag actually and keep procrastinating my spy check and Wizz your extra advice is really helpful and also Jane's advice re. computers etc.

One last question

I am afraid I have such a vast number of emails in Outlook Express that I don't really want to delete. I have kept them for years. Would these be considered as clutter? Should I print them off and delete?
Cait
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I missed Countrymousie and Mountainear. Thank you too.
I can't afford a Mac unfortunately, are they fast and do they really behave well?

Countrymousie? You are back!
Wizzard
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:

I am afraid I have such a vast number of emails in Outlook Express that I don't really want to delete. I have kept them for years. Would these be considered as clutter? Should I print them off and delete?

The easiest way to tell you how to do this is:
1. go to "my documents" and create a new folder - say "archived mail"
2. Open OUtlook express alongside the new folder so that you can see both.
3. drag and drop emails from Outlook express into the folder (you could always create sub folders for subject matter.
4. delete from outlook express

NB. If an email has the same subject line you will get a prompt to overwrite, so what I would do is before you drag and drop, add something to the subject line to make them all different (dont forget to save the change).

Hope that helps

Wx
Cait
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
That seems a good idea but won't they still be 'clutter' if they are in My Documents and still helping to make the computer run slowly?? Excuse my ignorance..
Tiggywinkle
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
Cait, I bought my Dell Laptop last year second hand, as I have XP on my Desktop, and didn't want to change to Vista. It came with XP , wireless connected, cost only 295 sterling. I'm thrilled to bits with it. I bought it from a guy who sells on E Bay, but has a shop also in Dublin. If I ever have a problem I can go back to him, which is great. My desktop is 9 years old and never had a problem with it. I'll wait till it dies, and by them will replace both. I have outlook express, and have the notes on how to transfer it to another computer if you need them.
Sumarell
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
We have 3 computers (2 PC's and a Mac), and I have Vista on my Toshiba laptop.
I just wanted to reassure you - I really like Vista and much prefer it now.
Wizzard
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
That seems a good idea but won't they still be 'clutter' if they are in My Documents and still helping to make the computer run slowly?? Excuse my ignorance..

Now they are in My Documents you can archive them off onto CD - sorry I wasnt clear.

Wx