Cowart's Common Room

I am in the middle of some lurid story writing for the OU course and am stuck! What is the correct name for a jeweller's eyeglass? - you know - that thing they pop in one eye to look at hallmarks, the inside of watches etc.
I'm sure there must be a proper name but if I knew it I have forgotten it!

Thank you


Posted at 8th Nov 2008 - 01:10PM   Posted by Snailbeachshepherdess   Help! Comments: 6

Arosebyanyothername's Avatar Yes - it's called a loupe. Best of luck with the writing. I am an ex OU graduate - I was a "B" student - science and I got my degree after 6 years.

Posted by: Arosebyanyothername on 8th Nov 2008 at 01:41PM

Camilla's Avatar Yep, definately a Loupe. All the best with OU course SBS, go girl.!

xxUploaded Image

Posted by: Camilla on 8th Nov 2008 at 01:51PM

Fennie's Avatar On the websites that seem to sell these things they are called jeweler's eye glasses - which seems unimaginative, but there you are.

Posted by: Fennie on 8th Nov 2008 at 02:22PM

Mountainear's Avatar I should know - the paternal ancestors that weren't lead miners were manufacturing jewellers - but don't so glad others do. I've added another word to my vocabulary too.

Posted by: Mountainear on 8th Nov 2008 at 03:14PM

Unpeuloufoque's Avatar Loupe french for magnifying glass....think in Uk I have only ever heard them called jewelrers eye glass..

Posted by: Unpeuloufoque on 9th Nov 2008 at 04:55AM

Angel's Avatar Isn't it called a jewellers eyeglass thingy??

Just packing my bags for Arvon. See you in a weeks time-behave yourself

Posted by: Angel on 9th Nov 2008 at 02:12PM

Please login to comment

Sorry you must be logged in to post a comment